Traditional Portuguese custard tarts originating from a 200 year old recipe. These very Portuguese pastries can be found throughout the coffee houses of Portugal. Although they may not look much, once you try these delicious tarts you'll be hooked.
2tsp vanilla extract
3 large egg yolks
50g caster sugar
300g puff pastry
1. Grease a 12 cup muffin tin
2. Place the custard, vanilla extract, egg yolks, sugar and honey in a bowl until smooth.
3. Preheat oven to 190˚c / Gas mark 5.
4. Cut the pastry sheet in half and put one on top of the other and set aside for 5 minutes.
5. Roll up the pastry tightly from the short end to form a log and cut into 12x1 thick rounds.
6. Lay the rounds on a floured surface and roll out until approx 10cm in diameter.
7. Press each round into the muffin tin and fill with the custard mixture
8. Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until pastry is golden and the custard almost set
9. Leave for 5 minutes, then move to a wire rack to cool
10. Sprinkle with caster sugar to finish (optional)